A recent survey showed that the majority of Canadians support legalization, “however, more than half of those surveyed said they had overarching concerns about the potential harms to children who may be drawn to gummy candies, cookies and other confections containing the psychoactive chemical. In B.C., for example, about 81 per cent of those surveyed expressed concern over increased access to pot by young adults.”
Kids AND adults are at risk of accidentally eating edibles until Canada makes an effort to mark their edibles! Marking edibles lets EVERYONE know what contains cannabis and what’s safe for your kids. Use the green cross and make it easy to #SpotThePot.
“New regulations in Colorado include requiring more robust testing, child-proof packaging, potency and dosing-size restrictions of 10 milligrams THC per serving, and education about delayed effects of edibles. They also required a universal THC symbol stamped on each 10-milligram standard serving, the inclusion of potency and contamination testing information, and the barring of words such as “candy” or “candies.””
These are great steps toward a safer cannabis edibles industry! More states should be making an effort to reduce accidental consumption and improve edible safety. Edible producers can mark their homemade cannabis creations with the green cross to ensure that it’s EASY to #SpotThePot
“Even though I’ve always placed them inside a container that has a dire, end-of-days warning on the lid, sometimes containers get opened and lids get moved around, and without a label that says the contents are dosed, how is anyone going to distinguish a cannabis cookie from a civilian cookie? Then the bad times begin.”
By Chase Rader
On May 15th, a child in New York was taken to the ER after accidentally consuming cannabis-infused candy he found inside his fathers car. Now, barely two weeks later we’re seeing nearly the exact same situation play out, but with more severe consequences for the parent.
Saturday, a mother in New Mexico took her two daughters, age 3 and 5, to the hospital after they were found eating a cannabis-infused cookie she had left inside the car. Rather than facing misdemeanor charges like Ephraim Zagelbaum, this mother may be charged with a 3rd degree felony for child endangerment, even though her children were fine.
… [Read More]
By Leah D’Ambrosio
Recently another story was in the news about a 10 year old that had accidentally ingested cannabis-infused gummies. The experience for that family must have been horrific. The fear of not knowing why your child is sick, the horror of realizing he had ingested an edible, and the paralysis that must surely hit you when the police come to arrest you. These all add up to one of the worst days of your life.
It’s easy to trash the parents and make comments about their character, but the reality is it could happen to anyone at any time. When we have infused foods out that look exactly like normal uninfused food, we remove all protection and control from a situation like this.
… [Read More]